In memory of Professor John Crump, who was a Past-President of BAJS, and Senior Editor of Japan Forum. the Association is pleased to be able to offer financial support for postgraduate research students, who are enrolled in a UK university research degree programme to assist during the final stages of the writing up period.
- You must be a
- postgraduate student registered at a UK university.
- in the final stages of writing up your PhD dissertation.
- a member of BAJS when you apply.
- Application for the John Crump Studentship is twofold and requires students to submit their application form via the online application form. Please note that you can apply only if you are a BAJS member, so you will need to be logged in to you BAJS member’s account on the site to access it.
- Once you have submitted your application online, you will be sent an acknowledgement email with a unique application reference number.
- Your PhD Supervisor is also required to submit a reference. References should be sent to [email protected] and include 1) a confirmation of PhD start date and precise date of submission, b) an honest assessment of your performance, and c) a clear explanation of the level of financial hardship you will incur up until your Viva.
- Please note, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure that BAJS receives both your online application form and your PhD supervisor’s reference by the deadline.
- The application deadlines are 30 April (for the period July-December) and 31 October (for the period January-June).
- Please also note that BAJS will prioritise students who have received a smaller amount of funds during their Ph.D.s.
- The maximum individual yearly award is £2,400, but smaller amounts may be awarded.
- Successful applicants will be
- notified in July (for April applications) or January (for October applications).
- expected to submit an article for consideration by the BAJS journal Japan Forumwithin twelve months of completing their doctoral thesis.
- expected to acknowledge the support of BAJS in their dissertations.
: UK Universities
: Open to all nationalities students
: Partial Funding / Limited support £3,000 support is given to each successful applicant.